Getting the Licensing to Ship Beer

After talking to UPS I found out that in order to send beer with them you need a license to ship alcohol and enter a shipping agreement with UPS. This means breweries, retailers, beer traders, and home brewers. I asked Fedex the same question, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

What license do you need to ship beer? That's what I'm trying to find out right now! In California there is a direct shippers license, and I've reached out to the CA Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control to find out if that direct shippers permit would cover home brewers and beer traders. If so, that would be awesome because that license only costs $10 annually!

I'm sure other states have different laws, but for CA that could be a good start. I'll be sure to keep following up with the CA ABC in order to get that answer.

Stephen Sullivan